• Off-Roader and pround of it!
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Anything off-road!
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • My DuneSafe Blog Posts!

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

From ivpressonline.com

Woman killed in ATV accident

GLAMIS ? A 26-year-old San Pedro woman was killed and a 26-year-old Santa Ana man was seriously injured Saturday when the all-terrain vehicle they were riding together collided with several wooden poles lying on the ground.

The woman, whose identity was unavailable pending notification of next of kin, was a passenger on the ATV.

Eddie Diaz, who was driving the ATV, was traveling near the Glamis Flats area around 3 a.m. when he crashed into the poles, the California Highway Patrol said.

The woman was ejected from the ATV and struck a 4-foot high pile of poles. She was later pronounced dead at the scene, the Highway Patrol said.

Diaz and the woman were not found until 7:30 a.m. by friends who went looking for them because they had not returned to their camp site.

Diaz was transported to Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs and his condition was unavailable this morning.

from what i heard on a few other forums...

the guy died at the hospital, and there was alcohol involved. how tragic is that...

:D
Signature Seperator image

ATVSuspensionTech.com
TCS, Custom Axis, Elka, Leager, LoneStar, Scotts, ASV, RollDesign, Breaking, Houser, Streamline, IMS, etc...

Joe Glendora, CA

#2 User is offline   Screamin Ian 

• Sand Demon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:The dunes are my love and my addiction.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:31 PM

Heard the same thing, I really wish the press could get accurate info.

Making the dunes safer one person at a time

#3 User is offline   rivermobster 

• Last Blog Entry:

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

found this on gd.com...someone there broght it over from hotboat....

Off the CHP website:
Incident: 0363 Type: Possible Fatality Location: GLAMIS Zoom Map: 6265 3J info as of: 9/2/2006 3:41:07 PM
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
11:55AM LINE 27 IS 1144 SUBJ
11:53AM FINAL 1144 / 1015 23153
10:19AM 1039 85-5 - ENRT
10:19AM 44 ADV 5 THAT MY UNIT WAS HIT BY ICSD UNIT
9:40AM 44 WILL HANDLE BLOOD DRAW ON SCENE
9:40AM 44 1022 21 MERCY AIR IS 1097
9:14AM 44 SEE IF 11 CAN 1198 AT PMH FOR BLOOD
9:14AM 1039 85-44 REQ 21 RESPOND FOR POSS BLOOD DRAW ON DRIVER
9:11AM 1141 ALMOST 1097
9:11AM ICSO SGT ADV THE 1144 IS THE PASSENGER
9:07AM ADV OF EXT ETA FUELING IN HOLTVILLE
9:07AM 1039 85-44 / 5
9:06AM INJURED PERSON STILL ON SCENE
9:05AM 1039 85-5 (OIC)
9:02AM THIS IS AN OFF-ROAD T/C
9:01AM ONE 1144

A Banshee ridden by a couple crashed at high speed approx 4:00 to 7:00 AM yesterday morning near the Glamis Beach Store.
(This time of Year events are held late at night/early morning).

It's suspected the couple laid on the scene for several hours before being discovered.
The female passenger killed at the scene,, word that the male may have died later today by friends at the scene,, but unconfirmed at this point.

It's important to know what happened in these sad accidents so you can avoid this same fate.

We never ride at nite except a slow group ride to Comp hill to race, and never double.

My girlfriend and I just happened to stop by the beach store on the way from Niland to the river after doing some hunting. We arrived at the store about 20 minutes after the two were found. There were about 7 friends around, half of them crying, and 3 store employees. We took the mans pulse. It quick and strong, but he was in and out of conciousness. Her eyes were swollen and a blackish purple. There was alot of blood from her mouth and nose. I asked for a sheet to cover the girl as the friend were falling apart, but the store emplyees were adimant about touching nothing as this was on store property and BLM was on the way. I said a little prayer with my hand on the mans foot gave my condolences to the friends and left.
It appears that they may have been riding over a 4' pile of 8' long telephone pole rounds and crashed. Both were wearing helmets. It looked as if the man removed his own as well as the girls helmet and tried to give her water. I looked for damage to the helmets. Both were scraped but not much else. Hers was full of blood.
My first impulse was to get the camera out, but I quicky saw the disrespect in it, and glad I did. I have never seen a dead body before and will not soon forget the images in my head.
Very scary.

ATVSuspensionTech.com
TCS, Custom Axis, Elka, Leager, LoneStar, Scotts, ASV, RollDesign, Breaking, Houser, Streamline, IMS, etc...

Joe Glendora, CA

#4 User is offline   AFamilyof4 

• Sand Addict
  • Group: Girls Rule, Boys Drool!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

View PostScreamin Ian, on Sep 5 2006, 08:31 PM, said:

Heard the same thing, I really wish the press could get accurate info.

Ian, they never get it right! Their reporting is more inaccurate then accurate! What's worse, is that when anti-access and government pencil pushers read these articles, they assume that the numbers/stats are corrent and base their decisions on that alone. How about reading a police report to get the information...WOW, an actual unbiased report..imagine that! Not some stupid reporter's take on things.

Statistically, these deaths will be added into the ATV numbers for death. Let's hope they don't add them to the numbers for Glamis, afterall, this accident occured on private property.

This just kills me...what their families have to go through...

-Always laugh when you can. It is cheaper than medicine.

#5 User is offline   noozeyeguy 

• Dune Lover
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:59 AM

View PostAFamilyof4, on Sep 6 2006, 01:34 PM, said:

Ian, they never get it right! Their reporting is more inaccurate then accurate! What's worse, is that when anti-access and government pencil pushers read these articles, they assume that the numbers/stats are corrent and base their decisions on that alone. How about reading a police report to get the information...WOW, an actual unbiased report..imagine that! Not some stupid reporter's take on things.

Statistically, these deaths will be added into the ATV numbers for death. Let's hope they don't add them to the numbers for Glamis, afterall, this accident occured on private property.
This just kills me...what their families have to go through...

What was inaccurate about the IV Press story? Just wondering...

Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?
Posted Image Simi Valley, CA

#6 User is offline   AFamilyof4 

• Sand Addict

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

Do you remember last riding season's report from the IVP regarding the number of deaths? The staff writer had generalized the stats that it implied they all happened at Glamis? I think the number was 9 or something like that when in fact it was only 5. They had clumped the deaths from Superstition, Ocotillo Wells and open desert riding all into the Glamis stats. Deaths are bad enough but to have inaccurate numbers makes it even worse. The staff writer had made a correction if I remember correctly but still, the first initial report is what people remember.

Another reason why it's so important for us to police ourselves. These anti-access people want nothing more then for us to keep making their job easy for them. But, one day, all of us working together will change that, by educating people on safety....one person at a time.

#7 User is offline   BigHeart 

• The RiverMASTER
  • Group: Project Leaders

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Just an observation... the link to the article indicates that the date of the article was Tuesday 9/5/06.
http://ivpressonline...news/news06.txt

The article mentions that "his condition was unavailable this morning." With all the HIPAA laws, I don't know what the hospital's protocol is for answering inquiries from the press, but *if* he had died, I would expect that would have been ascertained by the reporter if three days had passed since his death. Also, the police codes indicate "11:53AM FINAL 1144 / 1015 23153 " which means one fatality (1144), prisoner/in custody (1015) for felony DUI (23153).

The codes aren't standard, but 1015 is either "message received" or some variation of prisoner/suspect in custody/transported. So... he could have been transported to the hospital under arrest, but if he had died, would/could the hospital have told the reporter? Can we ask them to follow up? The authors of the articles (there are three on one page) are: LEO MIRAMON and GREG HOLT. Anybody care to pursue it?

IMHO, it behooves us to get the facts straight on the *real* cause of accidents and fatalities. The nature of OHV activities are risky enough without adding in extra risk factors. To get to the heart of what DuneSafe.com is all about, we need to focus what changes we CAN make. If there are X number of fatalities per year, then let's find out that X% were caused by other factors such as DUI, no helmets, doubles riding, etc. so that we can work on those controllable issues.

Furthermore, since I'm up here on my soapbox (LOL), Joe and I were talking about how to get the message across to people to NOT do what these people were doing. One of the most effective ways is to communicate the very personal story of the victims involved. Obviously - I hope - the people on this board aren't going to ride double, intoxicated and alone in the middle of the night on private property. It's the people that aren't part of groups like this that need to hear the message. If we put up big signs, maybe with pictures of the victims, saying "don't end up like him/her... don't ride double, don't ride drunk, don't ride alone, wear your helmet, etc. ..." in riding areas, maybe it would get the message across to people that those risky activities may cost you your life. It's nothing new... we've seen groups like MADD and families of victims put up billboards with pictures of their lost precious family members stating that their loved one was killed by a drunk driver. I don't know that this is the solution, but it's an idea.

Wife of rivermobster (that makes me the riverMASTER)
Lori Jean
Glendora, CA

www.ATVSuspensionTech.com

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   SailAway 

• Dune Lover

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

View PostBigHeart, on Sep 7 2006, 05:32 PM, said:

Furthermore, since I'm up here on my soapbox (LOL), Joe and I were talking about how to get the message across to people to NOT do what these people were doing. One of the most effective ways is to communicate the very personal story of the victims involved.

This is an interesting solution and one that was also raised by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in their proposed rule making on Children and ATVs. The CPSC wants to require sellers of ATVs to provide a list of injuries and deaths caused by ATVs prior to finalizing the sale.

The proposed rule making is in response to two petitions asking for the elimination of ATVs altogether or at least making them illegal for anyone under 16 to ride.

Vicki

#9 User is offline   Robinbobbinhead 

• @>----)

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

I would like to know who, if any one, keeps an official, up to date and accurate record of deaths and major injuries that occur in the dunes and camping areas that are attended to by any law enforcement agency. Is it a matter of public record? Data like that would sure be helpful as we start to design programs and recruit sponsors. Anyone know?

#10 User is offline   Robinbobbinhead 

• @>----)

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Lori, I love the billboard idea. We just need someone to start doing research. What do they cost, what is available, can we get LEO support? Know anyone who might want to take on that task?

Vicki, that's great info. I really don't think children should be prohibited from riding, that just isn't the answer. They need to be taught to ride safely and be aware of their surroundings. I know that is hard for some kids, but that is the parents job to decide. I know many parents who do make this judgement for their children, it is the ones who don't we need to get too.

#11 User is offline   Screamin Ian 

• Sand Demon

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

and its not the kids under 16 getting drunk and killing themselves, its the adults that are doing it, so not allowing kids to ride is just dumb.

#12 User is offline   noozeyeguy 

• Dune Lover

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:11 AM

View PostThe Wife, on Sep 7 2006, 12:40 PM, said:

I would like to know who, if any one, keeps an official, up to date and accurate record of deaths and major injuries that occur in the dunes and camping areas that are attended to by any law enforcement agency. Is it a matter of public record? Data like that would sure be helpful as we start to design programs and recruit sponsors. Anyone know?

Ya know, we tried to get exactly that info just prior to our April shoot at G. Nobody seemed to have any authoritative answer. Problem is, you've got several different agencies involved and they don't communicate well. CHP, ICSO, BLM, etc... one big happy family -- not.

It IS public record. But as to keeping the records up-to-date, the grapevine seems much more accurate. We were told the data exists, but nobody has ever broken it down that way.

Do you remember last riding season's report from the IVP regarding the number of deaths? The staff writer had generalized the stats that it implied they all happened at Glamis? I think the number was 9 or something like that when in fact it was only 5. They had clumped the deaths from Superstition, Ocotillo Wells and open desert riding all into the Glamis stats. Deaths are bad enough but to have inaccurate numbers makes it even worse. The staff writer had made a correction if I remember correctly but still, the first initial report is what people remember.

Last April when we (Fox) called CHP, the agency responsible for fatal accident reports at Glamis, they couldn't break it down by recreation area. They could only say that "x" number of deaths occurred in off-highway accidents within their jurisdiction (the El Centro field office), broken down by calendar year IIRC. Sorry, I don't remember the figures. But what the IVP reported would jive with what we were told. I didn't see the article, if anyone has a link I'd love to read it. I would tend to believe the inaccurate report came from a misunderstanding of the data provided. Unintentional, but damaging nonetheless. As they say, "you can't unring the bell."

As for the IV Press story about the weekend double-fatal... probably written from a CHP press release, issued Monday. Those releases are usually long on technical data and short on narrative. Also, hospitals are notoriously unwilling to release anything without express written authorization from God, Jesus, Buddha, and the surviving members of Monty Python. So it's no big shock that no further info was available. Usually better info comes from family members/friends, but since the vics are from OC the reporter probably couldn't reach them by deadline. If he tried at all. Oh, and most reporters don't understand APCO codes, or care to. Ditto PC sections. So again, rip and read from the press release. It's not great journalism, but frankly I wouldn't expect much more.

Also, context is very important. I called the trade association for ski areas in California back in April. Guess what? More people died skiing in California than died off-roading. I didn't have a chance to do the digging, but I'll bet the numbers of enthusiasts in both sports is comparable. Again, basic journalism....

BTW, I saw on another thread that the (alleged) driver was comatose, not dead...

#13 User is offline   Screamin Ian 

• Sand Demon

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:42 AM

since it has been almost a week after the incident, it would be nice for us to get all the facts now.

Did both die?
Cause of death?
Drinking involved?
mechanical malfunction on the bike?(throttle stick, no brakes, etc.)

Unless the real facts are given, it is hard to learn from the mistake that others made.

#14 User is offline   noozeyeguy 

• Dune Lover

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

View PostScreamin Ian, on Sep 9 2006, 08:42 AM, said:

since it has been almost a week after the incident, it would be nice for us to get all the facts now.

Did both die?
Cause of death?
Drinking involved?
mechanical malfunction on the bike?(throttle stick, no brakes, etc.)

Unless the real facts are given, it is hard to learn from the mistake that others made.

Ian, I'll call IV CHP tomorrow and see if there's any more info being released. I doubt the final report is ready yet, but I'll ask. I'll post anything I learn here and GD.com.

#15 User is offline   Dirt Girl 

• Advanced Duner
  • Group: Project Leaders
  • Interests:Big fan of Mother G...love me some hardpack riding up at Dove Springs...I like sitting in the river or canal sipping Coronas...like sitting around a campfire BSing with my friends....

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

I also heard that the male was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

I like the billboard idea but I really don't think pictures of dead bodies is a good idea. Unless their bike was severly damaged, it is hard to get a good idea of what exactly can happen when drinking and riding are involved. Maybe a billboard with names of those killed in the last few seasons due to mixing alcohol and riding. It's sad but I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who were obviously at fault.

I also wonder about their friends in camp who would let them leave on a ride if they were obviously intoxicated...and riding doubles. :bigcry:

It is unfortunate that this happened but there is really no one to blame here but the two people on the bike. I've heard news of a pending lawsuit because this was on private property which I think is total BS. The riders were at fault here and trespassing. How a lawsuit is coming from this is absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry if I sound harsh here, but this affects all of us. We all get a bad rep because of people like this. And I for one, am tired of it.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow."-James Dean

#16 User is offline   rivermobster 

• Last Blog Entry:

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:53 PM

View PostDirt Girl, on Sep 10 2006, 08:30 PM, said:

I also heard that the male was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

I like the billboard idea but I really don't think pictures of dead bodies is a good idea. Unless their bike was severly damaged, it is hard to get a good idea of what exactly can happen when drinking and riding are involved. Maybe a billboard with names of those killed in the last few seasons due to mixing alcohol and riding. It's sad but I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who were obviously at fault.

I also wonder about their friends in camp who would let them leave on a ride if they were obviously intoxicated...and riding doubles. :bigcry:

It is unfortunate that this happened but there is really no one to blame here but the two people on the bike. I've heard news of a pending lawsuit because this was on private property which I think is total BS. The riders were at fault here and trespassing. How a lawsuit is coming from this is absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry if I sound harsh here, but this affects all of us. We all get a bad rep because of people like this. And I for one, am tired of it.

perfectly said

:closedeyes:

ATVSuspensionTech.com

Joe Glendora, CA

#17 User is offline   noozeyeguy 

• Dune Lover

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

I chatted with IVCHP this morning. They're still treating it as a single-fatality, they would be notified if the other victim expired and that hasn't occurred. It doesn't mean that the person hasn't passed on, just that official notifications haven't occurred.

Toxicology reports are still pending, as is the final accident report.

I have the CHP press release in my hands, it's pretty short in info but it does indicate that the male victim was transported to Palm Springs with "major" injuries, and was arrested.

The CHP officer I spoke with indicated that there were attorneys involved, on both sides. The conflict apparently centers around whether or not the pile of poles Mr. Diaz collided with were a traffic hazard, should have been there, right-of-way, etc. The officer did say that the accident occurred on private property of the GBS. He wasn't sure if the area where the wreck occured was fenced or posted.

I can scan and post the press release, if anyone's interested.

#18 User is offline   noozeyeguy 

• Dune Lover

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:37 AM

Here it is...Attached File  CHP_Report.pdf (232.88K)
Number of downloads: 173

#19 User is offline   Screamin Ian 

• Sand Demon

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

thanks for posting that, I sure would like to hear the rest of the info as everything unfolds

#20 User is offline   AFamilyof4 

• Sand Addict

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

I wonder if that man was a new rider? His bike was a 2006 Banshee. Brand new.

Just thinking out loud...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users